Improving sector governance is an emergent specialist field that has seen significant recent growth. The world is dominated by sector strategies on water, energy, security, health, education and rural renewal, and yet in most countries there are no sector policies in place, with the functional and service delivery arrangements for the sector remaining as they were more than 20-30 years ago. Geopolicity believes sectors and consumers deserve better.
We work with Government Ministries to establish evidence based sector policy frameworks, conducting functional reform and restructuring where needed, undertaking costed service delivery model assessments and strengthening results and outcomes based monitoring. Through integration with our economic reform program, we also develop medium term fiscal and expenditure frameworks and expenditure tracking. Improving sector governance is a core business activity for Geopolicity. As form follows function, changes in policy most often require accompanying institutional reforms to be undertaken. We specialize in identifying public sector reform and modernization requirements, and thorough detailed analytical and diagnostic work, charting a road map for delivery.
Whilst we drive towards sector wide approaches, we are also acutely aware that in many emerging markets and weak and fragile states, rivalry between executive structures often leads to a sector divided by interest groups. We identify drivers of change and develop Sector Road Maps that bring various entities together, at national and sub-national levels, around a common framework. We work in federal and unitary state systems.
Our Services Include:
- Education, Health, Water, Agriculture and Rural Development;
- Development of Sector Policy Frameworks; using an evidence based approach;
- Development of Costed Sector Strategies; established within the particular political economy environment;
- Service delivery models development; with a view to recasting decision-making structures;
- Sector costing; sector based fiscal and expenditure reviews;
- Scenario based policy, planning, budget and execution;
- Development of regulatory oversight capacities and standards enforcement; and,
- Business Process Re-engineering.
Examples of Recent Work Include:
- National Agricultural Strategy Development for a country in the Middle East, financed by UN FAO;
- Functional reform and restructuring of health, education, water resource, energy and mining sectors, and related Ministries;
- Initiation of the Advanced Reform and Restructuring (ARR) in Central Asia, financed by DFID;
- Re-formulating the National Education Strategic Plan (NESP) for the Government of Afghanistan/Asia Foundation; and,
- Development of Medium Term Fiscal and Expenditure Models for adaptation across sectors.